(Chickpea and Potatoes Curried with Tomatoes)
2 cups chickpeas, presoaked overnight
2 cups potatoes, diced
2 cups onion, diced
1 cup green pepper, diced
2 cups tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon asafetida
2 cups broth or water
3 tablespoons cooking oil
Salt and Pepper
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (for garnish)
In a large non-stick sauce pan, heat oil and fry turmeric for a minute or so. Add diced onions and green pepper; fry until lightly browned. Add garlic, ginger and chili pastes for a couple of minutes over low heat. Bring heat to medium-low; add potatoes and stir-fry for five minutes or until potatoes are half cooked. Add cumin powder and asafetida and mix well for a few seconds. Put soaked chickpeas into the potato mixture and give it a good stir for five-seven minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, salt and pepper; allow simmering for 20-30 minutes until the chickpeas are tender and a desired consistency of the stew has been achieved. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve hot with roti (flat bread).
- Chickpea Suruwa (Chickpea and Potatoes Curried with Tomatoes) Chickpea Suruwa (Chickpea and Potatoes Curried with Tomatoes) (Note: Chicken...
- Cauliflower and Potato Tarkari Cauliflower and Potato Tarkari (Potatoes and Cauliflower Curried with Tomatoes)...
- Mixed Vegetable Tarkari Mixed Vegetable Tarkari (Mixed Vegetables Curried with Tomatoes) INGREDIENTS 2...
- Masaura and Potato Tarkari (Traditional) Masaura and Potato Tarkari (Potatoes and Lentil-Vegetable Balls Curried in...
- Asparagus Bhutuwa Asparagus Bhutuwa (Asparagus Stir-Fried with Potatoes) INGREDIENTS 4 cups asparagus,...